It is only natural that if you’re shopping in a Country Store with a Bakery that your appetite will be aroused.
Way back when, long before we ever had our Country Store, our family used to sell U-pick and fresh-picked blueberries off the side of the road. We grew accustomed to folks saying that we should serve blueberry pie and ice cream; so we did. That went over very well. Then it got to be that people were looking for a little lunch to go with their desserts, so we did that too. Now our little café is a hot little meeting spot for lunch and tea. Our menu is Heart Smart, and like our bakeshop, our focus is on fresh & healthy! Soups, sandwiches, wraps, and a daily special that is sure to please. It’s a great way to work up to… dessert.
In the Parks Bake Shop, we believe in good, old-fashioned scratch baking. We start our days early and keep on baking throughout the day.
Blueberry Muffins, Scones, Bars, Pies, Tarts. Have you ever tried a Blueberry Butter Tart? You may have heard of our renowned Blueberry Oat Bars? And the pies! If it’s possible that you don’t enjoy blueberry pie, we have Apple, Cherry, Raspberry and more; we try to move with the seasons, Strawberry Rhubarb pie to Bumbleberry to pumpkin to mincemeat.
The following are some helpful information on the health benefits of blueberries.
- Blueberries are rated tops in antioxidant activity when compared to 40 other fresh fruits. USDA lab at Tufts University in Boston researchers have found that the Antioxidants in fruits help neutralize harmful by- products of metabolism called free radicals that can lead to cancer and other age-related diseases.
- How did they do it?
Anthocyanin (from the Greek anthos for plant and kyanos for blue) are ke. Anthocyanins have incredible antioxidant power!
- Another blueberry benefit is that it can prevent and alleviate urinary tract infection. Blueberries create a ‘teflon’ effect, prohibiting the growth of bacteria by preventing bacteria’s adherence to urinary tract walls.
- Blueberry picking is generally available mid-July to late August depending on the year’s weather.
- Season 2012 will start July 6 with the Duke variety, followed by the Northland and Bluecrop.
- Picking is daily from 8:00am until 5:30pm, 7 days of the week.
- Visa, Mastercard and debit are accepted.
- Containers for picking are provided.
- The field is closed in case of lightening and severe weather in the area.
Welcome to Parks Blueberries!
It was thirty-six (36) years ago that we first planted our blueberry bushes. With a lot of tender loving care, we have nurtured these plants into the most beautiful bushes. They now stand between four and six feet tall, on over forty irrigated acres, entirely under netting. We are pioneers in the use of nets for food safety reasons. Keeping birds out means our clusters are free of pecks and any residual bird contact. Our orchard is one of the most picturesque settings one can enjoy.
Welcome to Parks. Are you looking for that special gift or houseware item? Take a stroll through our country store where you’re bound to find something great. While you’re here, stop by the cafe for a fresh-baked good, then take home your favourite treats from the bakeshop. Finally, no trip would be complete without picking your own berries on our farm. Bring the family and enjoy a day at Parks!
- This Summer! Quench your Thirst with this wonderful drink! This Drink is a refreshing lemonade slush and a twist on the Tom Collins 1/2 cup lemon juice 1/2 cup blueberry juice 2 tablespoons sugar 1 cup club soda 2 cups ice 1 lime Pour the lemon juice, blueberry juice, sugar, club soda and ice into…Read More »
- Fresh and U-pick blueberries are now available. Bring your family and friends for a beautiful day in the sunshine and … Read More »
- Thank you for the wonderful 2016 Season. we are close for the season … see you March 23 2017. for … Read More »
- We are now picking blueberries! Bring your family and come on down to pick your own, and enjoy all the … Read More »